Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Perspective of New LFG


So there was a new build on PTR for Patch 3.3 which now makes the new Looking For Group system available. When I tested the new system I experienced some bugs and noticed that there were some unreported affects with the new system.

The Bugs.

When I queued up I did get a notice that my random party for my random Lich King heroic was ready. I accepted the group and instead of being transported to the dungeon I was sent back to where I entered the queue originally. Very much like when one returns from a battleground after it is over. I was also given a server notice stating "Heroic difficulty requires you to be level 80."

I was able to zone into an instance with another party member but no one else was able to port to the instance. I also failed to notice any indication as to what instance we were going to. Trying to get ported to the instance that was chosen still sent me back to my original queue spot.

Unreported Features.


I list this as unreported cause wow.com's post did not state these features.

Mini Map button.

The mini map has a button which will teleport you to the dungeon you have queued for. I tried this option as well but had the same original affect as when I accepted the group.

Dungeon Cooldown Debuff.

Once you accept a group you can't use the LFG system to group up again for 15 min.

While I can understand how this will punish those who flip groups if they object to the dungeon, the make up, etc. It affects our ability to recover from a group that breaks up. One suggestion to remedy this is to not make this debuff apply to anyone unless they leave the group prior to 15 min. My group broke up due to the bugs and I was not able to participate in another. I ended up logging due to it.

Normal Lich King Random Dungeon.

Most are talking about how the Heroic Lich King random dungeon awards 2 emblems of Frost and 68 gold. No one has brought up that the normal dungeon pays 49 gold 66 silver. and a emblem of Triumph.

My minor issue with this is that you're forced to do a normal instance. I am disappointed that you can't combine efforts anymore to complete the dungeon on heroic for the reward as you could when the daily dungeons were in effect. I understand that this seems intended and if you want the gold you run it normal. I can accept that. Just sad to see this aspect of the game change.

However I am happy to see that this is the replacement to the daily dungeons. These quests were removed on the PTR and the achievements for them were changed to feats of strength. I wanted to write about how disappointed I was with these changes but that is the issue with the PTR. Things change and nothing is final until it is live.

The new LFG looks interesting, makes pugging more profitable and eliminates having missed the daily or having to port over to obtain it. The fact that everyone will eventually be ported to the dungeon means I don't waste time waiting for lazy players anymore.

While there are better ways to generate gold then these new rewards, it is nice that time will be saved. Time really is money.

No comments:

Post a Comment