Friday, January 8, 2010

Account Security Issues.

Two days ago I was on Proudmoore US and noticed that there were three different occurrences of accounts being compromised. One I saw in trade. The other was discussed in the a private channel while the third affected someone I know. In the third case, this was a guild master who had two accounts compromised which lead to one of her characters being transfered to another server, while on her main account her other characters were stripped and her guild bank emptied of all valuables.

I have always felt that an authenticator was very much worth the peace of mind. I myself had to be slapped into reality by a friend of mine to have one attached to my account. I had obtained mine as part of the Blizzcon 08 bag of goodies. Since I had one for free and I was responsible for the security of the guild, it was in best interest I do so. I have not regretted it since.

There have recently been a few articles on wow.com about changes in the method Blizzard is now dealing with account compromises. While the danger of losing an account has always been there, it seems that the gold selling companies are in force more then ever in attempting to steal gold from players in order to sell it to others.

It saddens me that there are only two reason folks who had neglected to secure their account with an authenticator are now getting one. Either they finally were compromised or they want the free core hound pet provided with one now.

Honestly I don't care what excuses folks come up with for not investing $6.50 for peace of mind. It's cheap. I'm under employed and I am considering obtaining a second one as back up for when the battery dies in mine. I'm glad that at least I am making it hard for a hacker to get into my account, likely disband my guild, and give me a headache that warrants others to quit the game all together at times for how much one feels violated upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment