Saturday, September 5, 2009

Reflection


I've had a few hours to reflect on my recent loss and I am reminded of episode eighteen of How I Wow in where this question was brought up.

If the servers were going down forever... what would you do during your last day of World of Warcraft?

What would you want to do?

I thought the idea of going back to where you tamed your pets and releasing them was very interesting. As a hunter I do find it touching and appealing. Losing a beloved pet is difficult but at least being able to say good-bye makes it easier to cope with the loss.

Aside from releasing my pets I would take a scenic tour of many areas of the world. I chose the image to this article for the fact that I really do enjoy the forest areas of the game and I often admire bodies of water. There was one time when I was playing Akieater, my often underplayed undead mage that I logged him out on the edge of a mountain ridge which overlooked part of Silverpine Forest. I did not care for the rested bonus at the time. My only thought was to relax and partake of the scenery.

Yes WOW is a very social game. I would want to spend time with my online friends and guild mates. However there is a lot that you do in the game solo. I think most of us will be a little selfish on how we wish to spend our last minutes.

Patrick Beja mentioned his experience when he quit Everquest II. He said good-bye to his guild and as he logged he had a guild mate take screen shots of his last moments while he sat during log out. Patrick reflected on how he realized that these were the last moments of existence for his character. It was touching.

It is scary how often there are so many similarities between a virtual existence and our real one. In both we can have the chance to say farewell... or not have it at all.

So I ask anyone who may come upon this and actually play WOW. What would you want to do on your last day of WOW?

No comments:

Post a Comment